IMPORTANT WEB SITES
This site will be periodically updated. Please also review the members of the FIAR C/SAB for links to other important organizations. If you have suggestions for sites to add to this list, please do not hesitate to contact FIAR by email to email@example.com.
For specific studies, see Current CAM Studies as well as a list of FIAR's studies.
For information on our partners, please see Gandeepam and Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
In addition, FIAR is working with the Blue Diamond Society in Nepal.
Clinical Research Groups
- AIDS Clinical Trials Information Service
- AIDS Community Research Initiative of America (ACRIA)
- AIDS Research Alliance of America
- Beth Israel: HIV Clinical Studies
- Brown University: BRUNAP Home Page
- Canadian Interdisciplinary Network for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research; see also the Complementary and Alternative Medicine Education and Research Network of Alberta
- Centerwatch Clinical Trials Listing Service
- Clinical Trials.gov site to search for clinical trials by disease, drug, etc.
- Pathways to Complementary Medicine - New England's largest holistic medicine clinic.
Nutrition and Supplements
- ConsumerLab, undertaking testing of dietary supplements for identity, potency and purity.
- HIVResources: Nutrition and HIV/AIDS
- HIV ReSource Review Abstracts
- Supplement Geek, one of the most comprehensive and sharp, critical analytic sites about supplements
- ACT UP/New York: AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power
- AEGIS - the largest data warehouse dedicated to HIV disease
- American Foundation for AIDS Research (AmFAR)
- Blue Diamond Society, Kathmandu, Nepal
- The Body - search for Nelson Vergel for excellent advice on CAM and other HIV therapies and issues. Check out Aging with HIV
- Brooklyn AIDS Task Force
- CATIE: Canadian AIDS Treatment Information Exchange
- Critical Path AIDS Project. Treatment, resources, prevention and access information. An excellent site!
- Gay Men of African Descent (GMAD)
- Gay Men's Health Crisis
- The Harm Reduction Coalition
- The Fix, addiction and recovery, straight up.
- History of AIDS by Sarah Fall (not affiliated with any organization).
- HIV Health and Human Services Planning Council of New York
- Nelson vergel's Lipodystrophy and facial wasting page page
- National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Program (NATAP)
- New Mexico AIDS Infonet
- New York Academy of Medicine
- Positive Nation (UK)
- Positively Positive, the personal journey of Bradford McIntyre
- Program for Wellness Restoration (PoWeR)
- Test Postive Aware Network
- Websites related to managing antiviral side effects (see also New York Buyers' Club below for relevant links):
The New York Buyers' Club has documents on complementary and alternative means for managing side effects.
U.S. Government Agencies
- Food and Drug Administration
FDA - Dietary Supplements
- IBIDS International Bibliographic Information on Dietary Supplements (IBIDS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Office of Dietary Supplements
- Dietary Supplement Ingredient Database
- NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- PubMed (access to U.S. Medline database)
- AIDS Clinical Trials Information Service (ACTIS)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Herbs and Botanical Medicine
- Alternative Medicine Foundation
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
- American Botanical Council
- American Herbalists Guild
- American Herbal Pharmacopoeia
- HerbMed: Electronic evidence-based resource for herbal information, with hyperlinks to clinical and scientific publications and dynamic links for automatic updating.
- Herb Research Foundation
- Herb Society of America
- Jim Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases
- Michael Moore's Home Page from the director of the Southwest School of Botanical Medicine.
- Michael Tierra's Planetary Herbology
- National Center for the Preservation of Medicinal Herbs
- Kew Royal Botanic Gardens: Site has a variety of scientific and conservation pages.
- Phytotherapies.org for herbalists, professionals.
- Rocky Mountain Herbal Institute: information on Chinese herbs
- TibetMed,Alternative Medicine Foundation: schools, conference and resources
- Tibetan Medicine and Astrology, The Office of Tibet, the official agency of His Holiness the Dalai Lama in London
- Tropical Plant Database
- United Plant Savers: The mission is to protect native medicinal plants of the US and Canada.
General Integrative, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (ICAM) Sites
- ALTVETMED: Veterinary medicine site.
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine information for environmentally triggered illnesses.
- Foundation for Alternative and Integrative Medicine
- HANS The Health Action Network Society: registered non-profit charity in Burnaby, BC Canada, mandate is to provide information about alternative health care.
- National Indian Health Board, Denver, Colorado: "represents Tribal Governments operating their own health care delivery systems
- Natural Health Village newsletter addressing natural/alternative health issues and a town hall addressing legislative/jurisprudence issues
- Naturopathic Medicine Network: guide to natural medicine and alternative health care, contains newsletter, naturopathic physicians directory, natural pharmacy.
- Naturopathic Resources and Doctors, British Columbia Naturopathic Association
- The Physicians' Association for Anthroposophical Medicine "holistic and human-centered approach to medicine using modern medicine's anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and diagnosis and the knowledge of the laws of the living organism these studies were outlined by Rudolf Steiner"
- Savvy Patients contains extensive information from mainstream and alternative medicine, including an excellent LINKS PAGE TO ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE.
- Understanding Chinese Medicine, Doc Misha's Chicken Soup Chinese Medicine: basic information Chinese Medicine with resources on choosing a practitioner, accredted schools, insurnace companies
- World Health Organization: Facts Sheets - Traditional Medicine
- Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture in Canada: links to schools, professional societies, patient resources and information on Traditional Chinese Medicine with a Canadian focus
- The National Academy of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine: "common forum for discussion and development of research, education, and scientific excellence in acupuncture and oriental medicine"
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (with campuses in San Diego, New York and Chicago)
- USAcupuncturists.com: "established to provide trustworthy information about Traditional Chinese Medicine, including acupuncture, herbology, tui-na and other forms of treatment, to the community" with information on state licensing regulations.
- The NEW YORK BUYERS' CLUBS
is the last buyers club from the HIV/AIDS era.
Direct Action/Global Issues
For more direct action, particularly to help people around the world have access to inexpensive medication, please see a variety of sites including the most remarkable
- ACT UP/New York, the very FIRST chapter of the AIDS Action to Unleash Power, which was formed in March, 1987. For other ACT UP chapters around the world, CLICK HERE.
- Doctors Without Border (international) and Doctors Without Borders, US
- Essential Drugs and Medicines Policy (EDM): includes traditional medicine
- Cheaper Diagnostic Methods: A useful resource on some of the issues is the Afford CD4 campaign.
- Consumer Project on Technology and see also , Knowledge Ecology International, for more information on how pharmaceutical companies manipulate our and other governments to press free trade agreements that jack up prices and wind up killing millions.
- AIDS Action (re marketing costs included as "R&D").
- ICASO: Information on Compulsory Licenses
- SAATHI: Solidarity and Action Against The HIV Infection in India. See also Listserves list below.
- CITTA, an organization dedicated to developing hospitals, schools, clinics and resource centers to help some of the poorest areas in the world. Through Citta's Executive Director, Michael Daube, FIAR's director met Sunil Pant from Kathmandu, Nepal. Such human connections are the basis for creating change in the world! See the Nepal Project as well as the Blue Diamond Society for more information about how these unlikely meetings have blossomed.
Journals and Professional Publications
- BMJ [British Medical Journal]:Complementary Medicine articles
- Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.: indexed in MEDLINE and provides a table of content service
- Public Library of Science (PLOS)
- Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine: the first peer-reviewed journal dedicated entirely to the scientific, rational evaluations of unconventional health claims.
- Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients: " regular columns on different aspects of alternative health care: homeopathy, nutrition, exercise, women's health, phytomedicines and the constantly changing politics of alternative medicine. Reviews of current alternative medical literature and newly published books relating to health and healing are also included, as well as an extensive Letters-to-the-Editor section, calendar of events and health-related classified advertising."
FIAR, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, does not accept pharmaceutical or nutriceutical industry funding and relies upon your generosity to continue its efforts.